HOUSE VAN ASWEGEN
The setting for House van Aswegan is a plot in Quaggafontein, a meagre 17 minutes away from Bloemfontein city centre. With a keen interest in green living, the client wanted a contemporary farmhouse on the outskirts of the city, that would incorporate green design principles, creating as close to a self-sustaining holding as possible, through minimal expenditure.
Decisions following the client's brief included:
- Exploring a linear, north orientated design to make most of passive climate control
- Painting the roofs white to reflect the sun and thus lighten the heat load
- Incorporating double insulation in the roof
- Use of bay windows to allow maximum heat and light penetration into the interior spaces
- A self-regulated recycled water purification system
With plans to retire there, the development on the site left adequate space for the future construction of a green house to cater towards the client's pursuit of Botany.